Skip to main content

A note on travel

View of Sierra Madre from Tanay, Rizal

I am not much of a traveler. The places I've been to are not, in so far to say, as grand as those dreamed about by many. I've spent most of my life in the city where I was born-but I make time to go someplace new, in order relish on the fact that the world is larger than me-to see that beyond the confines of my life, there lies a vastitude that I can only hope to imagine.

Travel comes in two ways: there is a journey within and a journey without. Both of them, as I now see, leads to a convergence; a point where the journey and destination come as one.

Through travel, I realize that every experience I come across are but facets of the eternal, glossing over the fact of my mortality. I learn not to cling to anything; for I recognize that all will come to pass, like the fading views in a car window or the distant island that merges with the horizon.

The world makes me realize that my life is not the only life; that my beliefs are not the only way of looking at the world. Hence, I wander: to know, to understand, to find meaning; to extend the borders of my finite identity. 

When I'm travelling, I acknowledge that when I'm looking at the world, I'm really looking at myself. The mountain ranges are the ridges of my spirit. The sea reminds me of the richness that all life carries. The museums reflect my past, and the churches make me one with the things I hold sacred. 

My eyes continue to see these truths, and I hope to never forget them again. 

Therefore, I'll continue to travel; to challenge the constraints of my ego, and ease up my self-imposed burdens. I'll travel to see beauty, so that I'll know that life is worth living. I'll travel to awaken; to shake my soul from of its deep slumber. Above all, I'll travel to be free; to realize that all divisions are my own creation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Talk With a Young Boxer

Of views and gears: Exploring Marilaque

The Golden Mean: Aristotle's Principle For Happiness